Thoughts on Tuesday’s Presentation
I really enjoyed Tuesday’s guest speakers and their presentation regarding the potential role of multimedia literacy in our current educational system. The two video examples that were presented in class did, indeed, stimulate my thinking and personal perceptions. The concept of white privilege in our daily lives and how she (the student) was able to successfully express her perspective using technology through the creation of an educational video, was really amazing. It was refreshing to hear her speak and talk about such an unpopular topic which is typically not really mentioned in our society. As a result, it made me think about Tatum’s article which I found to be really interesting because it gave me a new insight.
I also found the concept of having small learning communities (small schools) within a big high school quite interesting and relevant to my own educational experience. In my sophomore year in high school, my school was also divided into several small learning communities. They were intended to better serve students’ needs by creating an environment where students would get more individual attention and be able to build closer relationships with fellow peers and teachers in that specific community. Given that my high school had approximately five thousand students, the idea of establishing small learning communities seemed like a very favorable thing to do. However, it did not turn out as planned. My school simply reinforced tracking with the new implementation of small learning communities. Some students had more resources and had classes with the better teachers, while other students were completely left out of these advantages. Hence, I truly think that the idea of having small learning communities within a big academic institution depends on how it is actually implemented at the end.
All in all, this was one the presentations that I really enjoy because it provoked me to reflect on my own educational experience and helped me better understand topics that I was not really familiar with.
I was inspired by the film and the visit too! It's interesting to see your experiences with small learning communities and how it can reproduce difference instead of solving that problem.
ReplyDelete